So bad, pregnant men
roam the sidelines in
Notre Dame Stadium.
This is the most messed up college football season… ever. Don’t believe me? Just go look at the BCS standings and get back to me. I’ll wait. Looks a little strange doesn’t it. Add that to being a Fighting Irish Football fanatic and my brain is melting.
There is not a whole lot to say about being this bad, but I might as well note some of the things that caught my eye Saturday versus Air Force.
- Asaph Schwaap has incriminating evidence against Weis. How else does he not only get to start and play against AFA, but he had 3 carries and a screen pass that he was supposed to be on the receiving end of until the ball hit the ground in front of him. Horrible. His blocking has improved, but the calls from the faithful are chanting Luke Schmidt’s name. Maybe Robert Hughes could get some P.T. at FB. Try something better.
- Duval Kamara was out due to an academic problem that is now resolved. Resolved because he IS our best WR and 8 balls were dropped. (No accusations just irony)
- Trevor Laws is a beast. The team who snags Laws in the NFL draft is going to be VERY happy. Laws leads all D-Lineman in the country in tackles.
- Jimmy Clausen needs time. Not just time to develop, but time to throw the ball. Sacked a million times again… Clausen will die of brain trauma at age 22 at this rate. The times when he has good protection are the plays we have max protect and are only send 2 WR on routes. Air Force coaches DOMINATED Weis. Whenever we went max protect, they sat back in a 5 man zone. sigh.
- Hammond and Hayden. Just awful.
- Weis continues to amaze me with his play calling. It is like playing a 12 year old in NCAA 2008. Going for 4th down instead of punting and I’m still pissed about last week. Even the 12 year old would have kicked the FG.
- If Aldridge was only hit waist to helmet, he would win the Heisman someday. He always seems one ankle tackle away.
- Robert Hughes needs to be our goal line RB. Thomas is done and lacks the violence Hughes brings out there that is needed in those situations.
- We lost to 2 service academies. Things aren’t just weird they’re fucked up.
If you are looking for some positive notes, remember that National Signing Day is less than 3 months away. I will have a full report on the incoming class with Subway Domer’s Irish Lads: 2008 Recruiting Spectacular. I did the same for the 2007 class. And after that, I will follow it up with my report and twist on The State Of Recruiting. With every major recruiting service having Notre Dame as the #1 class for 2008 right now, it will be interesting to see if the Irish maintain their recruits into signing day… and develop them.